Tuesday, March 8, 2011

get out of the box, and into the soil


I've been living and working at Green String for just over a week now, and it has already changed my perspective on observing nature, growing food, and eating well. There is so much going on at the farm, it's almost overwhelming to think of being in charge of it all. Bob Cannard (co-owner of Green String) who I receive lessons with every afternoon along with fourteen other new interns (or Sprinterns as we are called) has a lot on his plate and he is always in high demand. His outlook on farming and life in general is unique, and many people come here to find out just how he runs his operation and to get advice on their own farming ventures. His main advice to anyone who cares about where their food comes from or growing food is "Get out of the box, and into the soil." The box he was referring to while he was speaking today was packaged lettuce and salad greens, and how much of society imagines a bag or a box of greens instead of the plants coming straight from the ground.


The soil quality and the nutrient content of our food are inextricably linked, and the only way to grow healthy and nutritious food is to build and cultivate full-spectrum, nutrient-dense soil. Over the next few months we will be building on this, and learning extensively about soil science and what it takes to bring vitality and health back to the earth. Although my knowledge of plants and soil is fairly limited to high school science class and my intro to biology course in college, it's incredibly interesting and empowering to have the ability to learn now. I already am thinking of ways to improve my family's garden in NJ, and ways that I could start my own garden when/if I have my own place again wherever I end up over the next year. There is no excuse for why I can't grow much of my own produce after this experience, and teach others to do the same. I'd like to build confidence in gardening and growing plants, with the goal of being self-sufficient in providing good, healthy and sustainable food for myself and family.


Bob's saying "do little, get lots" is an important guideline for thinking about gardening and eating. The less you have to put into the soil that is not natural, the better it will be for the plants and your body. It's simple - yet most of the food you find in a conventional grocery store will be grown with loads of pesticides and toxins, all of which are harmful on so many levels. Even the 'certified organic' food products are questionable - there are so many loopholes that exist currently within the system. If it's possible and available - get to know your local farmers. When farmers markets are out there, go to them! It may sound silly and foreign, but there's so much value to it that I can't even begin to explain right now. There's a shift a comin' towards centralized small, local organic farms (many run by young people in their 20s and 30s) that allow people to contribute to their local economy and be assured their food is safe and healthy. There's a NY Times article about this that a friend shared with me the other day that is worth a read: New Generation of Farmers Emerges.


I am really connecting with my food here at Green String, and it's way more than I ever expected. Today, I literally saw a hen lay an egg right in front of me, and then I collected it to sell in the farm store. When we're talking farm fresh, you CAN'T get fresher than that. The chickens are a bit much for me though- and probably my least favorite activity on the farm. I'd much rather be our harvesting turnips or fixing up a barn then being pecked at by ornery hens who don't want to give up their eggs. Even though some hens are pretty mean about letting you collect eggs - the eggs are AMAZING. There are four different chicken coops or areas on the farm - two or sometimes three of which we collect from for the farm store, and one of which has free range chickens that sleep in 'chicken trailers' overnight. The productive hens lay between 20-60 eggs in the morning and again in the afternoon, and the eggs range in color depending on the color and type of chicken (as you can see above). The coop closest to the intern house where I live has maybe two dozen or less chickens and they only lay 4 or 5 eggs in a day and those go directly into our kitchen. The smallest coop is really just a fenced in area of about 10 chickens and a rooster who are "Silkies" - or the 'special' chicken. Think about the most ridiculously pampered dog at a dog show, and you have the Silkies - just in the chicken version. They lay tiny little eggs but are prized on the farm - they are kept under lock and key! They are fluffy and pretty colors, and have ornamental feathers on their feet - it's kind of cute. But really, I've had it this week with chickens.

I have to close up the trailer chickens for the night, so it's time to end this post. I am so ready for another delicious dinner, I can already smell some amazing aromas from where I'm sitting in the living room. I'll post next time with some food photos of the amazing meals I've been having...it's like a dinner party every night :) Hope everyone is doing well!

1 comment:

  1. That's so amazing! I can't wait to hear more about these chickens (I know how much you love birds, haha!). Anyway, this is all very interesting. Keep sharing your lessons, please. Also, I volunteering on that farm in Long Island. It was amazing. I'm going to start and urban farm on my balcony (starting with garlic, tomatoes and peppers).

    ReplyDelete